Together Forever

Wednesday, June 2, 2010

The worth of souls

Many of my friends are off at Girls Camp this week. I'm more than a little jealous. My stake isn't going to Girls Camp until October Break (long story). But hey, maybe I'll get to see snow for the first time! (Another long story.) But the reason why I am jealous, is because I've been thinking about last year at Girls Camp. Probably the most wonderful experience of my life. It was my first year as a YCL - youth camp leader. They say that as YCLs, you can change the younger girls' lives. That you can make a huge influence on them. And it's true. I love all my YCLs still. I still look up to them. I love, love, love them! And the fact that some of them read this blog makes me extremely happy. But I discovered last year that, as a YCL, those girls change your life so much more than you will ever change theirs. Last year I learned a valuable lesson - actually, more than one, but I'm focusing on one - that I genuinely loved learning. So, being the kind soul that I am, I decided that I'm going to share my experience.

Now, from what I've heard about from others, Pueblo Stake does things a little differently than other stakes. We always have Girls Camp as a stake. We're all mingled together, sharing cabins and stuff. So, as a YCL, there's a pretty good chance you'll be over some girls you don't know. This happened to me. Actually, I didn't know any of my girls. I was over the 2nd years. There were two girls from my ward who were 2nd years. Of course, they happened to be in the other cabin. So I knew, literally, none of my girls. At first I was just like "What?! Why?! I know girls in every cabin of the 1st year. I know girls in every cabin of the 3rd years. I know girls in the other 2nd year cabin. Why the heck did I get put over THIS cabin?! I apparently was forgetting the process that the leaders go through to place the YCLs. The process of praying. So, on the first day of camp, I reluctantly made my way to my girls' cabin. Then on the last day of camp, I was basically running to their cabin. And very reluctantly left it. The difference between those days? I saw those girls in a completely different light.

You see, those girls, despite the fact that they had no clue who I was, were so accepting. The very first night, as we said good night to them, I was hugged so tightly. It made me think, "They really seem to love me. But I didn't do anything except put a stick in the ground and show them how to find north, south, east, and west." Then I remembered how I always felt about my YCLs. I always immediately adored them. I thought they were the coolest people in camp, besides my sister, but that was a special case. It didn't matter that I didn't know some of them. I just automatically looked up to them. Because they were my YCLs. That's what they're there for. So I was like "Geez, is that what they think of me?" And it completely changed my attitude.

As my attitude was changed, my eyes and heart were opened. I saw those girls in a light that I have tried to carry over to everyone around me. I saw those girls purely as daughters of God. As nothing else but that. Some of my girls have had a rough life. But I saw such strength, and such greatness in them. It was they that started me seeing the great hope of this rising generation. Each and every one of them had - well, have - such great potential. And I wanted to help them see that potential in them. I wanted to help them see their great worth. I saw/see those girls the way their Heavenly Father see them. And I love/d them so much. And it made me realize something about myself. Because if I love those girls so, so, so much, then Heavenly Father, who loves infinitely, loves those girls WAY more than I do. Which means he loves them a lot. Which then means that Heavenly Father loves me like that too.

"Remember the worth of souls is great in the sight of God" Doctrine and Covenants 18:10.

So, that is the valuable lesson that I learned. That the worth of souls is great. Heavenly Father loves each and everyone of us. It truly is the most precious knowledge that I have. Because if I didn't know that, then why in the world would I do anything? Why would I believe anything of this Gospel? In fact, this knowledge is what makes the Gospel believable. I'm the youngest of nine kids. I've never been a big sister. But those girls are my little sisters. Truly, they are. We are sisters, because we are daughters of Heavenly Father. Each of us are brothers and sisters, because each of us are sons and daughters of God. So, yes, siblings to fight, tease, annoy each other, etc. But they also love each other. So very, very much. Just keep that in mind, next time you think or say something about someone. Because that someone is your brother or sister. And if that doesn't work? That someone is a child of God, and He loves that person very, very much.

And also, please, please, please don't forget your own worth. Don't forget who you are. Because Heavenly Father loves you just as much as He loves me, or your best friend, or the crazy cat lady down the street. You are important. And I love you! And so does Jesus, Heavenly Father, and Heavenly Mother. You've got it pretty good!

1 comment:

Kylie said...

Being a YCL is such an amazing experience! Remember when I was your YCL? There were three of us and four of you. That was an incredible experience to get to know you girls more individually. Love ya Beth!