Together Forever

Saturday, June 12, 2010

Una familia feliz

So, I was just sitting on my couch chilling, and I looked up at the wall. The new - well, newish - family pictures finally got put up. So some things were rearranged. In the middle of the wedding pictures of my siblings and parents, there's an embroidered quote in a frame. And, for some reason, this quote struck me with unusual force.

"Our family is a circle of strength and love. With every birth and every union the circle grows. Every joy shared adds more love. Every crisis faced together makes the circle stronger."

After reading this, I started thinking about my family. I have a pretty awesome family. We are by no means perfect. Drama can come up quite a bit. I can complain about them a lot. I can stress out about what's going on. But, nevertheless, my family is just so wonderful. My family has made me much of who I am. My love for music and my musical abilities - A family trait. My sarcasm - Definitely learned in the Root household. My testimony - Developed in the home. You know, being the youngest has it's advantages sometimes. Yes, there have been lots of times that I have been ignored. That's just what I get for being the youngest and having totally different interests from my sisters closest to me in age. But then, I've had eight people who I can look up to. Eight people whose mistakes I can learn from. Eight people whose testimonies I can use to strengthen my own. Eight people who love me and are willing to do so much for me. Yes, being the youngest has some wonderful perks.

So, this is going to be kind of random. But I want to introduce you all to my family. Mi familia grande! Because my family is so incredibly important to me. I can confidently say that I would not be where I am today without them. The thought of being with any family but this one truly scares me. I often thank Heavenly Father for putting me in this family. I've learned so much from them. So, be ready for a freakishly long post. Like, super, ridiculously, long. Not just long like my other posts. So, bear with me. But it's going to be awesome. Why wouldn't it? It's the Roots!



So. This is the oldest of the Root kids. Jess. Or, SeƱor Root to the students of Mesa High. That's right. My big brother is a Spanish teacher. He was my Spanish teacher. Weird? Maybe a wee bit. But basically a normal thing in the Root household. But, I have a great big brother. Yes, he teases. Despite this, he is willing to help out in any way possible. For example, my parents went up to Utah to visit family, like a week ago. And the car broke down. Some belt thing broke and took out the whole engine. So, guess who drove up to Utah in a Suburban so that the truck could be towed home? That's right. Jess. He's a great guy. And his wife, Cami, is super sweet. She's little bit quiet...but that just may be because I'm a little bit quiet. But I remember when I was really little - and I wasn't quiet at all - I remember thinking that Cami was the coolest person ever! She's a great mom, and is a new office manager at work. Way to be Cami! Woot woot! And their kids are super fun. And like super smart. Noelia, the oldest, has some mad piano skills. She might be better than me in a few years. I'm a little intimidated. Diego (yeah, the really white boy. with the Hispanic name.) also plays the piano. Which is awesome. He has a great imagination too. Isaac is just a silly little goof ball, and is a wonderful big brother to his sister Elena. And Elena is super cute. She has the cutest smile. She's also obsessed the Dora the Explorer. In fact, if in a Dora costume, she LOOKS like Dora.



Meet my sister Sarah. She's artsy and a great cook. And she and her husband James have incredible faith that I admire. There have been summers that I have stayed over at their house for a few days, and I've always loved it. James is crazy good with his hands. He can make probably anything. He built a little cabinet for my mom. He's built a hover craft. And he's just a super hard worker. Plus, with his sarcasm, he fits right in. And then Ryan, the oldest kid, is just super brilliant. He thinks super logically like his dad and I bet he's going to grow up to be a mechanical engineer. He's a percussionist in band. I'd like to think I influenced him in that decision. And then Jakob. Haha oh goodness, that kid is a ball of energy! And he's a big kid. Well, scrawny, but he has big hands and is pretty tall. He'll fill out one day, and I'd say he'd become a football player or a wrestler. Also, he's a wonderful artist. I bet he gets it from Sarah. (p.s. if I have a daughter, I'm naming her Sarah. I've ALWAYS loved that name. And Sarah has no claim to it. And, Sarah, sorry if the picture embarrasses you. But it's classic. I just had to show it.)



This is Christina. Stina. Crusty Tuna. Take your pick. She's the talkative one of the family. But it's a good thing. Sadly enough, she lives in Utah, and before that she lived in Chino Valley. So since she got married when I was like 7, I haven't seen a whole lot of her. But she's always willing to listen and help you with your problems. Then Troy, her husband, is a little silly. But he's a good daddy, and his four daughter absolutely adore him! And he's willing to serve anyone in any way he can. He'll drop anything in order to help a family member out. Noemi is their oldest girl. And she's super smart. Basically, all my nieces and nephews are brilliant. It's just our Root genes, I guess. She's a good big sister, and is getting baptized soon. Which I'm way excited for! Bekah is the next one and is a little sweetheart. She's a little conniving...but that's ok. That just means she's smart. Then there's Samantha. Also known as Monkey. She's the biggest ham ever! She's the cutest thing you will ever see and will flaunt it in front of any camera. And she makes me happy, because every time she would walk through my door when they come down to visit, she gets all excited and says "Hi Beth!" And then there's little Ysabel. I haven't seen her a whole lot, and haven't' held her that often. But she's adorable. I'm sad I don't get to see her grow up, or see her personality develop. But she has the sweetest smile.



This is Michael. Me and Michael, well, we have a special relationship. We used to fight. Like always. Over stupid things. But now, we get along really well. He's probably the brother I'm closest to. Michael is by no means a perfect guy. But neither is the rest of my family, and neither am I. But the thing I admire about Michael is his testimony. In every aspect of the Gospel I have ever heard him talk about, he believes so much. No, it's more. He knows. He's experienced. He's just a great guy, and he treats everyone with respect. One thing that I love: he gets so mad at Staci, his girlfriend, when she opens her car door before he can do it for her. Haha, he gets mad at me when I do that to. It just shows me how much respect he has for women. And it's just good to see that chivalry isn't dead yet. So, now, Staci. We're not related. Yet. But it will happen. She's already like a sister to me. She listens to me, which, as the youngest, honestly doesn't happen a whole lot. She'll just spend time with me. She'll play the piano, and I'll sing. I'll play the piano, she'll sing. She's just so wonderful. And the love she shows for my brother is amazing. She has such great faith, and I admire her a lot.

 
Posted by Picasa


Mi hermano Seth. He also lives in Utah. And this picture is a little old. I, unfortunately, do not have any pictures of my brother's family with the newest addition, Faith. In fact, I have not seen Faith at all. I have not held her. Sad story. But, hopefully, soon. We'll just see. But Seth. He's like crazy good at the piano. He's part of the reason why I play the piano. He works very hard and is very persevering. He cares a lot for his family. And then his wife Joyelle. I haven't really gotten the chance to know her that well. But she loves her children very much. And, she has helped my family make some good changes. Like this whole saying "I love you" to each other thing. It was kind of a thing that was foreign to us just a few year ago. None of us are very good at expressing ourselves. But we all knew that we loved each other, so after we were like 5, we would just stop saying it. It gets a little harder to say as you grow up. At least for us, it was. But now, it's a common occurrence. As someone leaves we say, "Love you!" We get off the phone with someone, we say it. But only to family. Saying it to others, well, that's a different story. I can write it - it's easy to express myself when I write. But to say it to you, and you're not family, it's a wee bit hard. But that's one thing she's helped us with. And Buddy - or little Seth - is so cute. I haven't seen him very often, so I haven't really been able to form a relationship with him, but apparently, he loves the bean bags I made him for Christmas. Which makes me happy.



Well, this is Robert. You think I'm sarcastic? Well, you should get to know him. He was called the devil in high school. He's also part of the reason why I play the piano. Having two brothers who are crazy good just makes you want to try it, I guess. Robert is often called the dutiful son by my mom. He always does what he is asked with a willing heart. He's steadfast in the church. I can see him as a bishop, stake president, as a general authority. And I'm not saying I can't see my other brothers like that. Because I can. But Robert, with his dutifulness, just shows that he's willing to do whatever my parents ask of him, so surely, he'll do whatever the Lord asks of him. And Leigh, his wifey, is just awesome. These past few weeks, we've gotten closer. She's good at anything she attempts, whether it's cooking, sewing, crafts, or photography. And I know she's going to hate me for writing this, but Leigh is a convert to the Church. But, for this reason, I admire her and the choices she has made. In all honesty, I have no clue if I would join the church if I was a nonmember and my family weren't members either. Because my family has helped my testimony become what it is today. And then their kids are so, so, so cute. Joel, the oldest, is a beast. But a good beast. He's big for his age. But he's a little sweetie. He's such a good big brother and looks out for "Cuca" all the time. He's a happy child - for the most part - and has a huge personality. Seeing him often brightens my day, because I love to see how much he's changed and learned each time I see him. And Lucas, or Cuca, is just as cute. He's just this chill kid, with the greatest smile and the greatest laugh. Really the only time he gets fussy is if he's hungry and you're not feeding him fast enough. But he's great. I can't wait for those two to grow up.



Next is Lisa. Lisa is a hoot. She has the soul of a black woman - when she's singing, at least. (p.s. not meant to be offensive in ANY way. It's just, well, if you hear a black person sing, they've got soul.) She's the reason why I have a job. Which I am eternally grateful for. That job will be a college fund and is the reason for my recent start with voice lessons. She helps me a lot. She's super dedicated to anything she cares about. And Jared, he's just freakishly smart. He understands so much about the Gospel, and will ponder random things, because he can, and he understands them. He's a great people person and makes tasty food. Their daughter Taylor is wicked smart. She's only 14 months old, and she does things that no 14 month old normally does. She's clever and sneaky. It amazes me the things she learns and understands.



This is my little big sister, Amy. Little, because she is shorter than me. Sorry, Amy, but it's one of my few bragging rights as the youngest. Amy is kinda like my idol. Haha, just kidding, but Amy has been someone I can look up to. Always. Her strength and determination to do what's right is just awesome. Her testimony of Christ is one that I strengthen my own on. She's been through a lot, but she's still very happy. She's the one that I call when I need anything. When I need someone to talk to, when I need advice. And she always is willing to help. She'll edit that essay, though I know she probably doesn't want to. She gives me advice when I can think of nothing else to do. She's always there for me. About a year and a half ago, she got in a car accident up in Flagstaff. We didn't know anything about it except that is was bad. Really bad. I thought she was going to die. It was, without doubt, the scariest moment of my life. Actually, the fact that she didn't die is amazing, But that's another story. So, anyways, we used to fight like crazy when we were little. But once I hit junior high, she was the guiding light for me. She's a wonderful sister, and a wonderful example.



Well, I saved the best for last. My parents. They have done so much for me. Putting up with me. Leading my in the right direction. Now, I don't know what you guys think of me. But I know not a whole lot of you have seen me at my worst. Some of you have seen me pretty grumpy. But for the most part, I like to pretend I'm a whole lot better than I am. At home, though, it's kind of a different story. I'm not horrible all the time. I try to be good. Unfortunately, though, I can be a holy terror at some instances. But, my parents are patient and loving. They understand that's it's just a teenage phase. (At least they hope.) They have always been great examples to me. As much as I complain, even though there are things I wish they didn't do, or did do, or would allow, I know they are doing what they feel is right. They aren't out to make my life horrible. The opposite, in fact. They want to help me make the right decisions, help my life be the best it can be, to help ME be the best I can be. I'm hard on them sometimes. But through it all, though I don't act like it, though I sometimes forget it, I know they're doing what they think is best. They love me so much. I know they do. And I love them back!

 
Posted by Picasa


This is a special place. Why? It's the place that my parents were sealed for time and all eternity. It was here that my parents made it possible for me to live with my family for forever. To be sealed to my brothers and sisters. If I have totally bored you with the randomness of this post and the decision to write about my family, then just remember this: Families are forever. Families are important. They are vital to Heavenly Father's plan. We cannot make it to the Celestial Kingdom unless we are sealed to a spouse. Yes, my family is not perfect. We have problems up the wazoo! But what family doesn't? We are still a happy family. We are still a forever family. I'm not going anywhere without them, and they aren't going anywhere without me.

1 comment:

amy root said...

beth, you made me cry. and i'm at WORK! explain THAT one to students walking in wanting to know where to find the ID office or the info desk :P i love you so much, thank you for this post!! it makes me miss everyone!