Together Forever

Wednesday, June 9, 2010

This change thing isn't being my friend...

So, I know I've totally failed on the whole once a month, write about someone in my life who has integrity thing. Well, you're going to get two for this month, since May missed that post. And this one, well, this one is special. The first one for this month will be about one of my leaders. She is a very special person to me. And I know I said I didn't originally want to write about leaders, but, well, things happen. Circumstances change. And I want this leader to know just how important she is, not only to me, but to the rest of us young women of the Lazona ward. You see, this leader is none other than the fabulous Sis. Martineau. I would show you guys a picture, but I wanted one with both of us. And since I usually avoid the camera like the plague, I could not find any - or even recall any being taken!- of the both of us. Which is something that is going to be changed in the near future.

So, what inspired this change of heart and inspired this decision to write about leaders? Well, Sunday, Sis. Martinaeu gave us some sad news. News that kind of, once again, makes me resent the fact that change must happen. Sis. Martineau is moving. Not far, but far enough that she will no longer be in Lazona ward. Why is this such a big deal to me? After all, I should be used to it. I've had numerous amounts of leader changes. Well, Sis. Marineau has made a huge impression in my life. She's been in the Young Womens program just about the whole time I've been in it. She was put in it maybe a month after I turned twelve, and there was a short period that she wasn't in it, due to a cute little baby. So I've had this wonderful woman to look up to for just about 5 whole years.

So. Integrity. I asked a few friends what they thought of when they hear the word integrity. One said cleanliness, and personal goals to keep you clean. Well, Sis. Martineau is a wonderful example of this. Because when I think of Sis. Martineau, I think of the temple. She has stressed this importance of the temple so much. And the importance of being clean and worthy to enter into it. In fact, much of my testimony of the temple has come because of her. I mean, yeah, I always knew the temple was important. I never imagined being married in any other place. But I remember after a lesson she gave thinking, "Wow. The temple is awesome. There is no other place I would rather be. The temple IS the place to be." So I have her to thank for that.

Another said that they think of someone who stands for what they believe is right. Someone who isn't afraid of what people think, but instead cares only of what Heavenly Father thinks. Sis. Martineau lives what she believes. She is always steadfast and true. She will make her voice be heard if something needs to be said.

This next one is possibly my favorite answer. She said that integrity is doing what is right no matter what. It's taking knowledge and using it to better yourself by standing up for what you believe. It's applying everything learned in seminary, church, and home and then doing your best to BE your best. Another thing I think of when I think of Sis. Martineau, is Personal Progress. And what's Personal Progress for? Well...personal progress. The point of it is to bring together all your knowledge and apply it in your life. To make you a better person. To make you the best you can be. Sis. Martineau has made a huge effort to get us to realize this importance of doing Personal Progress. Not because we get a spiffy cool/pretty necklace when we finish, but because it makes us a better person.

You see, the thing about Sis. Martineau, is that I see all these things in her. And it's wonderful. But what makes the greater impression on me is the fact that she wants, so very much, for us to learn the things she knows. To be the best we can be. To reach our full potential. She lives what she teaches. And she teaches what she lives. Sis. Martineau has played a huge part in who I am today. Not only has she strengthened my testimony of the temple, but she has strengthened my testimony of the Savior. She's become someone I can look up to, that I can trust, that I can lean on. I repelled down a freakishly high cliff, terrified the whole way down, because of her. I have almost completed my Personal Progress - because of her. Heck, me playing the piano a whole lot more in Young Womens and stuff is because of her.

Sis. Martineau, you have been a wonderful example in my life. The day you leave Lazona ward will be a sad day for us, but a day for rejoicing for your new ward. You are such an amazing person. That you for being a light in my life, for being someone I could always look up to. And for all you reading this, if any of you feel I have helped you or made an impression in your life, there's a pretty good chance that this marvelous lady should be thanked. You have been a great leader, Sis. Martineau. Thank you so much. I love you!

2 comments:

Holly said...

Loved this post.. definitely one that made me think for sure! Thanks for being you, Beth. It makes me a stronger person!

Unknown said...

Beth, I cannot possibly tell you how much this means to me. Thank you for everything you said. There is no greater gift I could ask for than what you have given me, which is to know that I have made a difference. Go read Alma 38:2-3 and you will know how I felt when I read this. Thank you for allowing me to be part of your life. I love you!