Together Forever

Wednesday, June 30, 2010

The Book of Mormon is BOM! (Get it? It's punny...)



So, I kind of love these Mormonad things. My mom was going through some old church magazines about a week ago, and pulled out a page of like twelve of them. I think I want to have one for each post now. But I guess we'll just see. But this one made me especially happy.

I love me some Book of Mormon. I try to read it first thing when I get up. Some times that doesn't work out, like if I'm babysitting nieces and nephews or something. And during the school year, I usually end up doing it in the evening, before I start my homework. And the reason why this particular Mormonad stuck out to me, is because I have begun to think of it as just that. As treasure. As of yesterday, I was halfway through the Book of Mormon. I had started rereading it a few days before school ended. I'm not trying to brag, but this was an accomplishment that made me very happy. The Book of Mormon has become increasingly important in my life. I pretty much have always read it. It's just been a habit of mine, started probably because I used to be a way early morning person, and because we had family prayers at 5:30 in the morning. So I would wake up at 5:00 to read my scriptures. I was a crazy child. But then, I was just reading because I knew we were supposed to be reading the scriptures. Yeah, I knew they were true, but I never was like "Yay! Time to read my Book of Mormon!" And it's really only been in like the past year or so that I've gotten like that. But my solid testimony of the scriptures, especially of the Book of Mormon - like more than just knowing they were true, but experiencing their power and spirit and stuff - began during the summer before my 9th grade year.

I had done my scripture reading for the day, and it was bedtime. I said my prayers. And this particular night, I had a question. I was asking for help, because something happened, and I had no clue what to do. I was stuck, because I felt like I had done what I was supposed to, but it didn't work out the way I wanted. So, I asked for help, ended my prayer, and crawled into bed. As I was laying there, I got the impression that I should read my scriptures. At first I was like "What? No, that's silly. I already read my scriptures. I'm in bed, the light is out. I'm tired. Why would I do that?" Despite this, I found myself getting up. I turned on the light and opened my scriptures. I had no clue where to look, so I decided I would go to the story of the stripling warriors, because it's my favorite. I ended up passing it, so I was about to start flipping back towards it, but then I stopped. The reason why I had ended up going to that page was because I had a glue-in at that page, and it sort of opened up automatically at that spot. I read the glue-in and I got goosebumps. I read the verse that went with it. There was my answer, looking me in the face. Simply because I flipped too far. And that was the start.

Ever since then, I've grown very fond of my scriptures. Of course, I'm not perfect and have slacked several times. In fact, I think this might be the first summer ever that I've been reading every single day. Let's hope I didn't just jinx myself. But, they really have become a treasure to me. Because of how they have helped me. One time at a mutual, some guest speaker person said something like "The scriptures are written in the spirit's language. The more you read the scriptures, the easier it will be for you to understand the spirit." And I can testify to you of that truth. Because the spirit has become a bigger part of my life, as I've striven to read the Book of Mormon each and everyday. And not just read, but study. I keep a scripture journal by me as I read, and I try to write something down every day. Even if it's just a couple of lines. Because I know that revelation can be received through the words of the scriptures, and the words of the prophets, both ancient and modern.

Another reason why the scriptures have become my most precious treasure, is because they have brought me closer to Christ. After all, what are the scriptures? Testaments of Christ, right? On the cover of the Book of Mormon it says "Another testament of Jesus Christ." Each and every verse in there testifies of Christ, of His role in our lives, of His sacrifice, of His love. It truly is amazing.

So, moral of the story: Uncover some glorious buried treasure. Read some Book of Mormon, and uncover riches like you have never seen. Or, I guess felt, read, and learned would be better words. You can learn so much from reading every day. From studying everyday. Make a habit of it. Better now, during the summer, when you don't have crazy stress and crazy schedule to distract you. Better now when you're young, when you can make a habit of it, so you'll do it when you are even more busy, are married, or going to college, or have kids. If you don't read now, I would whole-heartily recommend reading it. If you don't have a testimony, I would plead to you to strive to gain one. Because you don't know what you're missing out on. And if you do read, and you do have a testimony, you're my hero. I love you guys! Thanks for reading.

No comments: