Together Forever

Sunday, July 4, 2010

God bless America!

234 years ago today, the Declaration of Independence was ratified. And the United States of America was born. On that day, I'm sure angels up in heaven cheered. The events that led up to that day were led by God. Many men we being instruments in God's hand at that time. Today is a day that I have come to love and honor. Why? Well, on the 4th of July last year, I had a certain eye opening experience.

So, of course, like any other summer day was hot. Super, ridiculously hot. My ward does flags for a fundraiser, like lots of other wards/stakes. The young man get up early to put them out, and then the young women take them down. Almost every single time we go to take them down, my family is starting our BBQ. So, last year, I wasn't really feeling very patriotic. Basically, I was resentful. I was missing dinner, going out into the super hot heat to take these flags down, and when I would get home, I'd be all hot and sweaty and have no appetite and wouldn't be able to eat anything. And that's how my 4th of July went down. I got over my grumpiness and hung out with my family. Then, that night, as I read my scriptures, I happened to be reading in Ether chapter 2. And then I remembered why it was this country was so great.

"9 And now, we can behold the decrees of God concerning this land, that it is a land of promise; and whatsoever nation shall possess is shall serve God, or they shall be swept off when the fulness of his wrath shall come upon them...For behold, this is a land which is choice above all other lands; wherefore he that doth possess it shall serve God or shall be swept off...Behold, this is a choice land, and whatsoever nation shall possess it shall be free from bondage, and from captivity, and from all other nations under heave, if they will but serve the God of the land..."

The Jaredites were led to the Americas by God. The Nephites were led to the Americas by God. Both of them did a great work here. They helped lay the foundation for what would go on here. Don't think so? Keep reading. The Pilgrims were led here - by God! I have a great-great-lots more greats-uncle who came across. They were looking for freedom. And then what happened because of the Pilgrims? Well, more and more people came. Colonies were formed. And then, that blessed day happened. July 4th, 1776. The people demanded freedom. They demanded it as their God-given right. And it is God given. And then, because of all that, a young man of 14 had the right to go into a grove a trees, kneel, and say a humble prayer. Joseph Smith, that young boy, then helped restore this wonderful church. And he translated the Book of Mormon - which is about the Nephites and the Jaredites.

In the Declaration of Independence, it states that one of the God-given rights of man is the pursuit of happiness. And just how do I pursue my happiness? By being a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. By living the commandments and the teachings we are given. I love it. I love my freedoms and my rights as a citizen of the United States. And because of this great country, this church could be restored, and now we are sharing it with others.

There are no words that can express how I feel about this country. Yes, we have problems. We are imperfect, of course. But, nevertheless, this land is set apart by God. He blessed this land. I feel so lucky to be able to live here. Because it truly is a choice land, a promised land, a blessed land. So all I can do is stand up, put my hand over my heart, look at this magnificent flag, and say:



I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic, for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, for liberty, and justice for all.

God bless America! It truly is a wonderful place to live. Happy Independence Day.

No comments: