Together Forever

Tuesday, July 20, 2010

I stand all amazed

I stand all amazed at the love Jesus offers me,
Confused at the grace that so fully he proffers me.
I tremble to know that for me he was crucified,
That for me a sinner, he suffered, he bled and died.
Oh, it is wonderful that he should care for me
Enough to die for me!
Oh, it is wonderful, wonderful to me!

I marvel that he would descend from his throne divine
To rescue a soul so rebellious and proud as mine,
That he should extend his great love unto such as I,
Sufficient to own, to redeem, and to justify.
Oh, it is wonderful that he should care for me
Enough to die for me!
Oh, it is wonderful, wonderful to me!

I think of his hands pierced and bleeding to pay the debt!
Such mercy, such love, and devotion, can I forget?
No, no, I will praise and adore at the mercy seat,
Until at the glorified throne I kneel at his feet.
Oh, it is wonderful that he should care for me
Enough to die for me!
Oh, it is wonderful, wonderful to me!

"I Stand All Amazed" hymn no. 193

We sang this hymn as out sacrament song on Sunday. Recently, this song has come to mean a lot to me. I've always loved it, but we sang it a few weeks ago, and it touched me in a way it never has before. It's what inspired my last poem. (Despite my three poems on here, I'm not a poem writer. I don't write them that often. My poems have to be inspired by something. Because of that, they're very special to me, and I usually don't show them to a whole lot of people. You guys are just lucky that I've decided to show the last three that I've written. (: ) So, singing it this Sunday, I remembered the same feelings, and felt some of the same feelings, that I felt that Sunday that I wrote the poem. And it definitely set the proper tone, leading to an amazing sacrament. And what happened during the sacrament was really sacred to me, really personal. I did think about sharing it, but then I decided that this is something I should keep to myself, for now. But, let's just say that 1: prayers are answered - not necessarily when we expect them. and 2: I know Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ love me. They most definitely love me, and all of you.

Well, the sacrament is awesome. Do me a favor? Read the sacrament prayers. See what they mean to you. Because as I've read them and sort of studied them, they've become to mean something different to me. The sacrament is a very special thing. I'm so grateful that I have the opportunity to partake of it every Sunday.

Jesus Christ is my best friend. I love Him, and am so grateful for all that He did. Go back up and read the hymn again. Maybe you'll feel the same things I felt those few Sundays ago or last Sunday. It is so wonderful what He did for us. Just as the third verse says, I can never forget what He did. Just imagining the scars on His hands and feet bring tears to my eyes. And, one day, I will be able to thank Him in person. Face to face. I'll be able to kneel down, and kiss His once wounded hands and feet, and thank Him, and thank Him, and thank Him. Or, in reality, knowing me, just cry and cry and cry, not being able to say anything in coherent sounds. But He'll know what's in my heart all the same. And then, I'll stand. I'll stand all amazed.

1 comment:

Holly said...

Beth, you have a really awesome way of knowing what to say right when I need it, even without knowing it. Thanks for being you.