Together Forever

Thursday, July 15, 2010

Second chances

Ok, this is written by the lovely Shaylene Johnson. She didn't write her own intro, so I get to do it. :) I asked her to do this like...over a month ago. But, hey! I'm not complaining. She still got it to me! So, enjoy it. Because it's good.

Uhm…So my mom has a sister named Shirley. She was adopted by my grandma from a Navajo reservation. As a baby my Aunt Shirley was abused heavily by her alcoholic parents. They used to throw her across the rail road track, when they were drunk. Because of the abuse my aunt was labeled as disabled with a bad back. She can’t work. Anyway, so my aunt married a guy named Paul. They had two sons, and a daughter. Paul was an alcoholic and ended up in jail. Shirley was supported by the government and given money and some shenanigans. I don't really understand the whole process, but that’s what’s happening.

She lives in poverty. She and her kids have lived in crummy apartments all their lives…with roaches and the works. My grandparents and aunts and uncles- her adopted siblings- would send money also. Shirley can’t drive, and doesn't own a car. Her kids aren't old enough either. Anyway, her alcoholic now ex-husband is let out of jail during the day to find a job and returns to sleep at night. During the day he hangs out at her place though, and drinks or who knows what.

Because my mom is the only relative in the valley, she’s taken the responsibility to take care of her. She drives her around to buy groceries and pay bills and etc. Shirley’s oldest is named P.J. (Paul Junior.) He was supposed to graduate this year but failed school with only six credits. He’s now a drop out. Her daughter is named Shannon, she’s fifteen. Shannon is doing alright; she gets decent grades but doesn’t have the best friends. Her youngest is Brandon.

She’s been kicked out of five apartments due to the police being called from the kids inviting friends over and being loud. Multiple times she’s gone behind my mom’s back, against her trust, and done things she shouldn't be doing. She lies about going to church and the kids lie about going to mutual. They don’t tell my mom things that she, as their guardian, should know.

Shirley and her kids have been kicked out again. When my mother found out, she was in tears. I've never seen her cry so hard. They have till the end of July to move out. For the next two weeks we won’t be in town. It’ll be the only trip we take this year before my brother Nolan leaves on his mission. That leaves my mom one week to find Shirley an apartment, and move her. There’s a homeowners program that Shirley can take for a few weeks in order to buy a cheap house. That’s what my mom really wants to do for her. Get her and her kids a home close by, in our stake, and keep an eye on them. With this they’d be going to church and mutual and fixing up their lives. The kids will go to school with me and my brother and all will be fine and dandy.

Time is the problem. So my mom thought of a solution. Move Shirley and her kids in with us for a few weeks while they take the class, and either find a home or apartment. For the past weeks we’ve discussed it as a family. We have plenty of room, but not one of us want to do it. That would require sacrifice. Something we shouldn’t, but do, have a problem with.

Earlier this morning I woke up and could tell something was bothering my mom. I asked her what was wrong and she continued to express what was bothering her. She was more stressed than I’ve ever seen her before. She had brought the idea up of Shirley moving in for a few weeks again with my dad. He replied with a stern no. The possibility of them ruining our valuables downstairs was too much to risk.

Later that day when he got home I managed to get him alone. I told him I really thought Shirley should move in with us. It would only be for a few weeks and it’s our responsibility. He asked me why should we when we kids were such bad examples. I told him that Christ would do it for us, and we need to do it for her too. She’s family. As he walked out of the room he told me that we have taken Shirley in more than once. It was time for her to step up and act like a mother. Though he was right, as he always is, the situation stayed on my mind.

All this talk got me thinking tonight. I’ll agree with him when he says that we’re bad examples for her kids. I mean, we stay up all night watching movies and playing xbox. And I also agree that we’ve taken Shirley in multiple times. But really, how many times are we required? Christ has forgiven and continues to forgive us multiple times. He has taken us in his arms and let us know things will be ok. Isn’t that what we need to do for others too? Isn’t that why we’re here? To be examples of Christ, right?


My mom told me something that stuck in my head. She said, “We all say we’ll help out in situations, but when the situations actually happen, no body wants to lift a finger. Not even family.” I guess it’s just something I wanted to think about. How hard is it to sacrifice when the time comes to do so. I just hope something sparks in our hearts that gets us to act when things need our attention. We’re followers of Christ. We’re latter day examples.

As the rising generation we need to train ourselves to do that. We need to make it our responsibility to help someone who is in our need. We need to find that faith and trust in Christ and know that things will work out. By doing that, no questions asked, we will be blessed. Sometimes we have to go out of our way, climb onto a limb, and save someone else. We’re all here for a purpose.

“But behold, I, Nephi, will show unto you that the tender mercies of the Lord are over all those whom he hath chosen, because of their faith, to make them mighty even unto the power of deliverance.” Sometimes we have to be those tender mercies for others. By doing so we will be delivered, we will be blessed.

I know this is true, I've witnessed it. Please pray for Shirley and her family, please pray for my mother. Everything will work itself out in the end. As a daughter of a strong mother, I know that.

1 comment:

Holly said...

I loved this. Thank you Shaylene!!