Together Forever

Monday, July 5, 2010

I don't care what you say, she's my hero.

When I die, or when the Second Coming/Resurrection happens, or whenever there's a chance that I get to meet people who have past on before, there's one person that I really want to meet. Like before everyone else. Well, not EVERYONE else. There's people like, you know, Christ, and Heavenly Father and Heavenly Mother that I want to be the first people I meet, but this person is right up there on the list. She's before Captain Moroni, the brother of Jared, Alma, Ammon, Nephi, all those great Book of Mormon heroes. And although, this is a pretty random subject to write about, it's one, from the very beginning, that I've wanted to do, I just never knew when to do it. So, since I'm almost finished with my Personal Progress, so, therefore, with this blog, I felt like I should go ahead and just do it. The person that I want to meet most, is this lady right here:



I guess maybe if you don't know this story, you won't know who this is. This is Emma Smith. There is much controversy about her. And, honestly, I kind of want to give some of the people who talk bad about Emma a good smack. (Maybe not the most Christlike desire, I know.) She is often compared to Mary Fielding Smith. She was another great lady, the wife of Hyrum Smith. Mary went West with the saints, and Emma stayed. People are often hard on Emma because of this. The way I see it, who are we to judge Emma? How can we forget the many great and wonderful things Emma did? Emma truly had such great faith, such great courage. Such great integrity. Is it weird to say you love someone you have never met, who lived over one hundred years before? Because I love Emma. I truly do. Let me share the story of the picture I have here.

Joseph was in Liberty Jail. The saints were being driven from Missouri to Illinois. Emma had to leave also, leaving Joseph there in Missouri, in the awful prison. In the middle of winter - and where they were, winter isn't like how it is here in Arizona. It snows there. A lot. Rivers freeze there. It was crazy cold. So Emma came to a river. The man that was traveling with her, to protect her and her kids and take care of the wagon and supplies and stuff, wasn't sure what to do. They were unsure if the ice was thick enough to cross over safely. Emma knew she needed to get to Illinois as quickly as possible. So, with a prayer in her heart, she decided to cross the ice. And this river wasn't just like ten feet wide. It was really, really wide. At this time, she was hiding manuscripts under her skirts. She was carrying two kids in her arms, and two other kids were walking beside her, hanging onto her. I don't do this story justice. But Emma, at this time, shows incredible faith.

In Doctrine and Covenants, section 25, the Lord, through Joseph, gives revelation directly to and for Emma. Not only did He express His love for music at this time and asked her to comprise a hymn book, but He also calls her an elect lady. The Lord knows all. So, knowing the things that would happen, that Emma would do, would He call Emma an elect lady if she were not worthy of it or would do something that would make her unworthy of it? I don't really think so.

I don't even know if I can explain just why I feel this way about Emma. But, if you read anything about Joseph Smith, you will read about his love for Emma. Do you think the Lord would have led Joseph to marry a woman if she wasn't worthy? To be the wife of such a great man, must mean that she, herself, was a great woman. I really don't know where my love for Emma came from. She truly is my hero, despite what people say about her. Tell me where you hear of her forsaking her testimony of the church, of the Book of Mormon, of Jesus Christ. Yes, she didn't go with the saints. But neither did Joseph's mother. Neither did other saints. Emma had been through so much. Time, and time again, she saw loved ones ripped from her arms, whether is was Joseph being taken by wicked men, or her children dying. Yes, she stayed. But who are we to judge? Who are we to state the reason why she stayed? Who are we to say that she lost her greatness? I'm convinced she is ensured a place in the one of the topmost spots of the Celestial Kingdom, right alongside Joseph. In fact, I want to say there was a prophet or a general authority who said that, but I'm not quite sure if that's true, so I don't want to state it as fact. But Joseph did say that he would walk through hell barefoot for a woman like her. And her last words, spoken with her dying breath was "Joseph, I'm coming," showing her devotion to him, to the end of her days.

So, say what you want about her, you won't change my mind. But hopefully, I might have changed yours, or perhaps made you think. Emma Hale Smith, who gave up her family to be with Joseph and become a part of the Church, who put together our first hymnbook, who was the first Relief Society president, who time and time again show great faith and courage, is my hero. I admire her. She truly was an elect lady. I want to be like her. I want to have her integrity, her strength, her determination. And, I look forward to the day where I will be able to meet her, and thank her for her example to me. Maybe we'll be best friends!

2 comments:

Brandon Randall said...

Beth, as usual, I loved this post. And I'm glad you made it. :) I've always admired Emma and all the terrific things she did (example: D&C 25 is one of my favorite sections not only because of what it says about music, but also because it is directed towards Emma herself). This post helped clear any lingering doubts I might have had about her staying and drifting away from the Church (I didn't have many, but it was always something I wondered about), and anyways, thanks for making it. Emma Smith truly does deserve the highest of praise. :)

Kathee said...

I feel like a 'peeping tom' reading this blog un-invited by you. But I couldn't help but share some feelings I have about Emma Hale as well. People tend to judge her by her choices in Nauvoo, to not leave with the other saints. But those judgements come from people with hindsite of what happened historically. Considering all the times the saints moved, who could say that they wouldn't come back to re-claim Nauvoo. I've thought it brave of Emma to choose to stay, to help take care of her frail mother-in-law Lucy Mack Smith. She chose to stay knowing that the mob might come and burn her home and harm her children. And honestly, it was the first time in their married life, that Emma had her own REAL home. She had been willing to move, and travel, and stay with other people, and share the kitchens with other women while her husband was off doing whatever the PRophet did, and sleep on floors in other people's homes, and relinquish control of her life while trying to maintain her dignity. It is no wonder that she requested that they build the Mansion House in Nauvoo - so she could be on the other end of letting people stay in HER home. She WAS devoted to Joseph, she was fearful that someone would steal the body of her precious husband. She wanted to stay and protect his legacy in Nauvoo. WHen all was said and done, and her second husband sold precious church history, we have to remember the time period and the role woman had. He may have sold things without her knowledge, or she may have felt it wasn't her place to speak up. She was grateful to have any man willing to marry her and provide for her and her children - considering her background. She never did see her immediate family again. She literally sacrificed her adult life - to the restoration. Harmony Pennsylvania - the spot where most of the Book of MOrmon was translated and the priesthood restored, is also the cemetary where Emma's first child and parents are buried. It is such a sacred spot. THe spirit is so strong there. As I have walked that hallowed ground, I can't help but think about Emma and Joseph loosing their first child, the strained relationship between Emma's parents and Joseph. But she was a young newlywed, hopeful for the unknown future. I think she is a hero as well. I applaud her for all she was willing to put up with and do without while supporting her husband as best she could. So - in the here after - please allow me to come with you to visit her and acknolwedge our great admiration together! (Thanks for letting me share here) Kathee Merkley