Together Forever

Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Large of stature

As I was reading in my scriptures a few days ago, I came across this lovely verse - it's Mormon speaking.

"Nothwithstanding I being young, was large in stature; therefore the people of Nephi appointed me that I should be their leader, or the leader of their armies." Mormon 2:1

Cool, no? What came to mind here was Nephi. You know, like how he always mentioned how he was young and large in stature and stuff. And it got me thinking about some of the people in the scriptures. Captain Moroni was 25 when he became chief captain. The stripling warriors were all young. It mentions the brother of Jared being a large and mighty man. Well, to be a large and mighty man, you've gotta be a large and mighty young man, right?

So, that started me thinking about the youth of the church - the rising generation and all. And not just the youth, but the younger adults, the newly weds/new parents. And being large in stature. Because, well, you all know how large in stature I am...just kidding. I'm average. (Don't fight me on this. I'm average. Don't you dare call me short.)

You all know how I'm gung-ho about the rising generation stuff. I love it. It places such a responsibility on us to do the right things, to be the right people. To be the right example, to try to raise kids in the right way. So what does the large in stature have to do with any of this? Well, what do Nephi, Captain Moroni, the stripling warriors, and Mormon have in common, other than accomplishing great things at a young age? Being spiritual giants. THAT'S where the large in stature come into play. Because if you watch someone talking about the Gospel or sharing their testimony, and they truly know what they're saying, and believe it with all their heart, it's like they grow a foot. You can't help but look up to them. As you share the spirit and share a testimony, you show conviction and confidence - even if you don't feel confident. And confident people seem to be tall. Because they stand tall.

So, I guess what I'm trying to say it, strive to be spiritual giants. You don't necessarily have to know the most, or share the most, or have read the Book of Mormon more than everyone. Be a spiritual giant by sharing your testimony. Be convincing. Use more than just words with your testimony. Live your testimony. Stand confident and strong, and don't be afraid to live or share what you know is true. Even the smallest people can be large in stature. Take my sister Amy for example. I'm taller than her. (You can go ahead and call her short, seeing as I'm average height, and she's shorter than me...Love you Amy!) But Amy is such a spiritual giant, and grows a foot - maybe two :) - when she shares that conviction.

Sooo...go be spiritual giants! And show everyone that the rising generation is going to take Satan down.

No comments: