Together Forever

Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Where is your heart?

No, this has nothing to do with Kelly Clarkson's song. I just like using song titles because, well, I like songs. :) So today I had an irregular night scripture study. I usually do it in the morning, which I did, today. But, it wasn't as long as I wanted it to be, because I was babysitting my nephews. My sister is off at Girls Camp and my mom had a class, so it was just me with Ryan and Jakob. So, with no fun book to read, and not really wanting to start on my book for AP Gov, I decided it'd be nice to finish up my scripture study. And I kind of had a mini epiphany. Just a whole bunch of connections clicking away in my head. I loved it. What was this epiphany about?



That's right, the heart. (I'm not gonna lie. The only reason why I chose this heart: it's purple.) So, think way back, over a month. When I did that post on integrity, and talked about Alyssa. Remember how I mentioned the phrase "integrity of the heart"? Well, in my study today, I read, in Mosiah 11:5, the phrase "lifted up in the pride of their hearts." I flashed back to seminary lessons, and previous epiphanies that I have had. And it like DING! The light bulb lit up above my head. It's all about the heart. Everything, everything, everything! is about the heart. Satan wants the heart. Bad. He's the one the persuades us to let the pride creep into the heart. And pride is the source of every sin. No exaggeration, EVERY sin. So, pride eventually overwhelms the integrity of your heart. It overwhelms the love that you feel in your heart. It overwhelms the spirit that enters your heart and testifies through your heart. And then, it becomes a heart like this:



A small, cold, hard heart. A shriveled up heart of stone. Harsh? Well...that's what happens. The heart helps determine the thoughts in your mind. It is what determines whether or not you are able to feel the spirit. The spirit is a soft, gentle thing. It's not going to be able to penetrate a hardened, stubborn heart. Where is your heart? What condition is it in? Have you had the change of heart?

I guess what I'm trying to say is, guard your heart. Keep it safe from Satan's grasp. Don't let him get a grip on it, for his hold is a tight one. Be humble, don't let pride take over. Instead, let integrity be the driving force of your heart. For, with integrity, virtue - which is righteous living - comes. Keep your heart safe in Heavenly Father's and Jesus Christ's hands.

1 comment:

Holly said...

Love this Beth! :)