Together Forever

Saturday, June 19, 2010

The priesthood is AWESOME!



So. This is a picture of Joseph Smith's first vision. The very beginning of the restoration of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. Christ's church. The only church with the full, complete truth. Because of the restoration, we have this amazing thing called the priesthood. The priesthood is power and authority given by God to worthy males who are members of the LDS church. And, it is only to be used for the purpose of serving others. Such as, baby blessings, blessing the sacrament, blessing the sick, and, my favorite, a Father's blessing. There are SO many uses of the priesthood. And I admire any man - or young man - who uses that power worthily.

There's this one person I admire. Above all the rest. This person is my dad. Now, my dad is a pretty unique individual. He has 7 fingers, 9 toes, and one thoe. What's a thoe? A big toe put on his hand so he could have a thumb. You see, my dad's a mechanic. Basically a miracle worker when it comes to cars. One day, before I was born - actually, before a lot of my siblings were born - while my dad was at work, he had an accident. And cut off two fingers and the thumb of his left hand, leaving only the pinky and ring finger. Well, thumbs are kind of necessary. So, he had one of his big toes put on his hand so he could have a thumb. He was the first person to have the procedure done in Arizona. Apparently, this has been done multiple times...but he was on the news and everything! But, while this makes my dad unique, this isn't why my dad is special to me. This reason comes down to one thing. The reason why my dad is the way he is. It's the way he uses his priesthood.

In one of the lessons in seminary this year, I learned that the priesthood can never be used, unless in the service of others. The minute you use it to help yourself, use it for your own gain, you lose the power and authority to do anything in Christ's name. So, in order for my dad to be using the priesthood worthily, he must be using it in the service of others. That, in itself, says volumes about the kind of person my dad is. He is always willing to serve. And then his priesthood blessings, oh my gosh, they're awesome. My Father's blessings always are as if it's my Heavenly Father speaking to me. It's so awesome. My daddy has a gift. Granted, his blessings, besides like baby blessings, are really the only ones I've seen. But I have no doubts that he will end up being the stake patriarch or something. Probably the only other blessing I've ever had that was more amazing than one of my dad's Father's blessings was my patriarchal blessing. And that's because that one IS straight from Heavenly Father. And, like I said, I'm sure one day he will be giving those to people.

There are several more things that make my dad a worth priesthood holder. Such as the way he fulfills his callings. When I was super little, he was in the bishopric. Right now, he's in the stake high counsel. You don't get those callings unless you are worthy. And, though I don't really remember much of when he was in the bishopric, I know he fulfilled his calling exactly the way he was supposed to. And now, as I see him do his duties as a high counselman, I witness him fulfilling his calling.

Another major thing about the priesthood, I think, is the way priesthood holders treat women and children - specifically their wife and their own children. My dad is as respectful as can be. I know I give him a hard time. A lot. But he really is a wonderful father. And a wonderful husband. The father and husband is the patriarch of the family. He's the leader, the provider, the protector. But he also is to advise with his wife. My dad is a wonderful example of this. He always goes to my mom. He always counsels with her. I don't think I've ever seen them fight. In fact, I KNOW I've never seen them fight. They don't even really argue. If they disagree, it really doesn't matter to them. They talk it out. haha I guess that's why I don't understand why people always ask me if there's arguments at dinnertime when they find out that one of my parents is republican and the other is democratic. Because nobody sees eye to eye on everything. You just need to understand the way the other person thinks and just talk things out. Fighting really is pointless and can be harmful to a relationship. And my daddy, well, he's a wonderful father. He cares so much about me and the rest of my family. He would do anything for one of us. He does anything he can to help us.

There's just so, so, so much I could say about my dad. But, the bottom line is, is that he's been a wonderful example in my life. I know how to pick a husband because of him. I know it sounds silly, but it's true. I want my husband to treat me with respect, to listen to my advice, to talk with me about problems and situations, like my dad does with my mom. I want my husband to love our kids, to care about them, to help them in any way possible, like my dad does for us. I want my husband to be committed to his calling, to be committed to the Church, like my dad is. I want my husband to be able to give me and my children blessings, whenever there is a need for it, just like my dad is. Yeah, it'd be great if my husband will be super attractive, athletic, musically talented, super strong, and was somewhat of a mechanic (really, it is a great talent to have. You end up saving on money...). But, those things aren't necessary to me. What's necessary to me, is that he is worthy. Worthy to take me to the temple. And worthy to use his priesthood authority when needed or prompted.

So, for all you guys out there who are worthy priesthood holders, I just want to say a big thank you. You help make my life easier, help make my life better, and help bless it. And, you're being the role model for someone. Or will be. It could be a brother, sister, niece, nephew, children, grandchildren. People who will need to know how to use their priesthood, or how the priesthood should be used. You never know who you could be helping by upholding this great honor. And, if any of you who are reading aren't worthy to use the priesthood, this is not meant to make you feel guilty. Not at all. That's never been my intention. But, if that is you, then realize the importance of being worthy. And strive to become worthy. You can help make a huge difference in the world. Think of those brothers, sisters, nieces, nephews, children, grandchildren who need that example, that guiding light in their life. You could help change their world by using that priesthood worthily.

Last:

What Makes A Dad
Anonymous

God took the strength of a mountain,
The majesty of a tree,
The warmth of a summer sun,
The calm of a quiet sea,

The generous soul of nature,
The comforting arm of night,
The wisdom of the ages,
The power of the eagle's flight,

The joy of a morning in spring,
The faith of a mustard seed,
The patience of eternity,
The depth of a family need,

Then God combined these qualities,
When there was nothing more to add,
He knew His masterpiece was complete,
And so, He called it ... Dad


Dad, you know it best as a David Len Allen song, sung in church by the ward choir. But, the last verse/stanza always makes me think of you. Thank you for always being that great masterpiece. For being my dad. I love you so much. I'm sorry I don't have anything else for your Father's Day gift. I never know what to do. But, there you go. Happy Father's Day! I love you!

And happy Father's Day for you other fathers reading. You guys are amazing. Keep up the good work, and please remember your responsibility. Someone is always watching you, looking up to you. If it's not me, it's someone else. Those qualities listed in the poem above? Yeah, that equals awesomeness. That's right. That's you. :)

4 comments:

Miya said...

Beth, this is so darling! You are so the sweetest girl and your daddy sounds amazing:)

momof9 said...

You made me cry, Beth.

barry said...

How can I not be a good father with children like you! I had a hard time readind your blog because my eyes kept watering because of allergies.
I dooooo love you
Dad

Brandon Randall said...

Beth, what a wonderful, wonderful post. Like I keep saying (I must sound like a broken record now... :) ), you really inspire me. In many ways. So thank you for that. :)