Together Forever

Sunday, May 30, 2010

Happy, happy happy!

Often times, when you say happy to my almost 20 month old nephew, he gets a big grin on his face and will repeat "Happy! Happy! Happy!" over and over again. Even if he's crying, he'll stop mid-cry, say happy, and then start crying again. I know that I've done multiple posts on being happy and seeing the good and positive things in your life. But I'm doing another one anyway. I think it's something we can always learn more and hear more, or read in this case, about. You can never be too happy, and there could always be more happy people in the world.

So, what prompted this happy post? Yesterday, as I was reading in my scriptures, I came across a verse that made me step back and think. It's 1 Nephi 16:20.

"And it came to pass that Laman and Lemuel and the sons of Ishmael did begin to murmur exceedingly...yea, and they were all exceedingly sorrowful, even that they did murmur against the Lord."

It was the sorrowful part that made me pause. I thought back to my experience and challenge with trying to be happy that happened at around Thanksgiving time. I've actually talked about it few times - I don't think on the blog - because it's when I started to make the decision to be happy, no matter what.The reason why it made me think about it, was the murmuring part. I remember complaining and venting about what was going on to some of my friends. I never went into specifics, of course. I just complained about how awful it was that this stuff was going on, and how upset and sad I was and blah blah blah. I was murmuring. What was going on was a trial. And I let myself become sorrowful because of it. I often describe it as the first time I had to fight to put a smile on my face. It's something that probably shouldn't have happened. I shouldn't have let that trial get me down. There shouldn't have been any need for me to murmur about it. I should have been like Nephi was in this chapter. Nephi took whatever came his way, and just went with the flow he was like "oh. I broke my awesome cool bow. Oh well. I'll just make a new one while everyone else complains." He took his trials in stride, and this way was able to overcome them. He didn't just sit back and pout.

Now, sometimes we have no control over certain situations. But we have control over our happiness. Happiness is all a choice. What choice might that be? Well, let me share with you something that the great King Benjamin once said.

"Consider on the blessed and happy state of those that keep the commandments of God. For behold they are blessed in all things, both temporal and spiritual; and if they hold out faithful to the end they are received into heaven, that thereby they may dwell with God in a neverending happiness. O remember, remember that these things are true" Mosiah 2:41.

Choose the right. Therein lies your happiness. Super simple right? It's something we've been learning since we were itty bitty Sunbeams. Choose to keep the commandments. BAM! You get your happiness and your blessings. Plus, you know, eternal happiness. Pretty awesome, right? Well, I know that there are times that you just get blue. You feel like you aren't doing enough, that things just aren't going good, or whatever it may be. That's going to happen. But put a smile on your face anyway. Because if you've been doing what's right, you'll find something to be happy about.

I want to share a scripture with you all that a friend shared with me. It's meant a lot to me, and I often will read it when I'm a little down or need a little encouragement. It's a wonderful scripture. It's one of those replace-this-person's-name-with-your-own verses. I want you to do that as you read it. And if you'll forgive me for seeming a bit concieted, I'm going to use my name here, instead of Alma's name.

"Blessed art thou, Beth; therefore, life up thy head and rejoice, for thou hast great cause to rejoice; for thou hast been faithful in keeping the commandments of God" Alma 8:15

This has become a very precious verse to me. It shows how, if I'm doing the right thing, then I have all the reason in the world to be happy! So, if you're doing the right thing, and you're a bit blue, just remember that you have great cause to be happy. Like I've said before, you can always find something to smile about. If you can't think of anything, just think of how the Lord is pleased with you. Think of all the many blessings he has in store for you for being righteous. Be happy! You won't ever regret putting a smile on your face.

1 comment:

Brandon Randall said...

Beth, you really inspire me. I hope you know that. This blog post was really great, and though I'm not in too bad of a mood today, it just made my night even better. Thank you for sharing your testimony and your thoughts with everyone. It really makes the world a better place. :)