Together Forever

Sunday, April 4, 2010

A tribute to the best big brother and my best friend

There's a Man I know,
One I love most dear
And oft times as I think of Him
My eyes shed a tear.

His life was one
Filled with service and love
And in doing the work
To bring children home Above.

Not once was He
Selfish, cruel, or unkind,
But always so sweet
And put past deeds behind.

This Man led a life
That brings others to light
With a love that's so pure,
A love that burns bright.

But there came a dark night
That brought great anguish and pain.
It brought this Man to His knees
And yet He did not complain.

He fell to His face
and the burden lifted not.
And with all this great suffering,
Our grace He had bought.

The very next morning,
With a harsh crown of thorns
He was nailed to a cross
And the Heavens did mourn.

This Man, my big brother,
My very best friend
It tears at my heart
To know all that He did.

Oh Brother, big Brother!
What can I do,
To make myself worthy
to come unto You?

Oh Brother, big Brother!
What can I do,
To prove my willingness
And gratitude to You?

Oh Brother, big Brother!
No words can express,
No words are enough,
The things that I feel,
My heart is so full.

Oh Brother, big Brother!
How I dearly love You!

So this is a poem I wrote. It's a little rough, of course, but I felt it was kind of appropriate. Poetry is probably the closest I'll get to writing music, and music is truly the only way I can express myself without blundering or stuttering, or just not getting what I feel out of my mouth. I'm so awful with words, but I can occasionally write something, or even on an even less often occuring occasion, I say something that gives a glimps of just what I feel. And it's especially hard for me to express my feelings of the Savior. But I know, with a certainty, that Jesus Christ is my Savior. He loves me so much. He suffered for me, was brought down, even unto nothing, and died for me. And then, He rose for me. He has made repentance and resurrection possible for all of us. We owe Him so much. Here are a few more words, not my own, that helps express how I feel towards my Savior. They are words from some of my favorite hymns.

"I believe in Christ; He ransoms me. From Satan's grasp, He sets me free, and I shall live with joy and love in His eternal courts above." from "I Believe in Christ"

"He lives! All glory to His name! He lives, my Savior, still the same. Oh, sweet, the joy this sentence gives: 'I know that my Redeemer lives!'" from "I Know that My Redeemer Lives

"I stand all amazed at the love Jesus offers me...To rescue a soul so rebellous and proud as mine...I think of His hands pierced and bleeding to pay the debt! such mercy, such love and devotion, can I forget? No, no, I will praise and adore at the mercy seat, until at the glorified throne I kneel at His feet." from "I Stand All Amazed"

"Abide with me; 'tis eventide, and lone will be the night if I cannot commune wit thee, nor find in thee my light. The darkness of the world, I fear, would in my home abide. O Savior, stay this night with me,; behold, 'tis eventide. O Savior, stay this night with me; behold, 'tis eventide." from "Abide with Me; 'Tis Eventide"

There are so many more. Probably just about every hymn in the hymnbook. But I just want to repeat my testimony that I know that Jesus Christ is my Savior and my Redeemer, who loves each and everyone of us.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Beth, I had no idea you were a poet! Thanks for sharing your talents and testimony. You inspire me. :)