Together Forever

Thursday, April 15, 2010

Freedom

"My country 'tis of thee,
Sweet land of liberty,
Of thee I sing;
Land where my fathers died,
Land of the pilgrims' pride,
From every mountain side,
Let freedom ring!"

We all know this song. We've sung it since kindergarten. But do we really know the meaning of the words? "My country 'tis of thee." Who do we sing to? God. Whose country is this? God's. Why? Because it's the land of the free. Since the time the Earth was created, this land was set apart to be a free land. A land where, if the people looked to God, there would be no bondage. It would be a free land. Why am I sharing this with you? Well, because I was told to do so. I was just sitting in history class, learning about Pearl Harbor and the similarities it has with 9/11, and I got the thought of posting about America and freedom. At first I kind of brushed it off. It seemed a little silly. But then, that night, I decided to go to an orchestra/jazz band concert. And one of the songs played was one that was written after 9/11 in honor of those who died. Maybe it was just a funny coincidence. But then, in my scripture study, subtle mentions of the freedom that accompanies this land appeared. So I figured I probably should just do it.

Why is this country, the United States of America, so important? Well, without it, the Restoration never would have happened. The pilgrims first came here for religious freedom. Without that freedom, the Church would not have been established. And it really is evident the role that God played in forming this country. The ideas for the Declaration, the Constitution, the Bill of Rights. The amazing victory of the Revolutionary War. Even the Lewis and Clark expedition was clearly guided by God. This past year in American History has amazed me. I never realized just how much God guided the leaders of the country.

And why is this so important to me? Well, because I don't really see much of a difference between this:



and this:



Our freedom is so important. We have our agency. But here, we have a better use of it. Our liberty is something to fight for. Now, I don't mean like go out and fight in the military. I don't think I could ever do something like that, myself. But there are ways we can defend it. First, defend it against Satan. Or, in other words, resist sin, because sin is what binds us down. Second, do things like vote. Participate all you can in choosing the way this government is run. We have a great blessing to be able to choose. Just be aware of how precious this land is. How wonderful our freedom it. And do not take it for granted. So many people have died to make this country what it is for you. WWII. Civil War. Revolutionary War. Pilgrims dying from cold and starvation. Never disregard your freedom. It is a sacred thing that the Lord has given you. Honor it. Show your love for it. Be patriotic. I love my freedom. I love this country. I'm so grateful to have the opportunity to live here, to have the choices I have.

No comments: