Together Forever

Saturday, March 20, 2010

Two steps forward, one step back

It is a very true statement when I say seminary is my favorite part of the day. It's just so wonderful! I really didn't like not having it this spring break. It was like something was missing from my day. Seminary is just, I don't know, just so perfect for me. School is so blah for me. Choir is the only class on campus I really seem to enjoy. Sorry Jess, but even Spanish is boring, too. It's just the people in the class that make it fun. Seminary always seems to give me what I need. It makes me happy on a bad day. I learn things that are very timely, or someone says something I needed to hear. In fact, I think I may have become a little bit too dependent on it, if that makes sense. I've been very spoiled with my seminary class this year. Bro. Tilley is just crazy awesome, and the people in my class are just as amazing. It is honestly the most amazing seminary class I've ever had. And it's gonna be tough for next year to top it. So, I guess my point is, this spring break, I've realized just how complacent I've gotten. I've tried to not get complacent. I've tried to watch myself, but, of course, pride gets in the way. This week I've been unusually cranky. Now, I'm often cranky at home. It's where I'm most tired and most comfortable with being cranky. But it's gotten pretty bad. I was trying to figure it out. It's not the sleep issue. I'm getting more than I do during school, but not too much. Then I realized that I've been kinda slacking with the things I usually do to keep myself spiritually fed and to keep the spirit with me. Like with my scripture reading. Now, I usually read my scriptures before I go to bed. But it's not because I put it off. I actually think I can focus more then, than when I first get home from work. But I can sort of think about the day and stuff. I don't know, I just think I'm more spiritually focused at that time than if I got up early to read them. So, I never really see that as a problem during school. But this week, with no school, with really no structure to my day, I could have easily read my scriptures at any time. but I read them right before bed as usual. Except for this time, I read them because I needed to, not because I wanted to. I would read them when I could barely keep my eyes open, not really getting much out of it. I've also been extremely lazy adn have been putting off things. The old enemy procrastination has crept back into play. It just sort of amazes me how quickly things can start going downhill. I feel like I have grown so much spiritually this year, because of seminary and other things I've been doing. But then one week of slacking, I feel like I've gone backwards. By like a lot. I've become too comfortable with seminary and how I can learn and realize so much by just being there. Yes, I have been able to make much progress with that, but what about during the summer when I'll just have church on Sunday and mutual on Wednesday. I'm going to have to actually work to continue to grow. I'm not going to have seminary everyday, with a teacher and a class full of students ready to help me each day. hmm....maybe I should arrange a summer seminaryish class...haha. But it's just kind of been an eye opener to see that there's still so much I should be doing. And it's one thing to learn something, and another thing to put into action. So I guess that's what I'll be working on. I don't want to take that one step back. I want to be continually looking forward, pressing on, and making progress.

No comments: