Together Forever

Sunday, March 14, 2010

I know Stripling Warriors

So. Friday and Saturday I decided to read about the stripling warriors in my personal scripture study. And man, am I glad I did. It's been a LONG time since i've had scripture study like those two days. Especially Friday. So i want to share the things that i've learned. It's probably going to be another long post. haha I guess I'm just long-winded. But there was a lot I learned. I hope the spirit can help me type the words and things that need to be taught and can be present as you're reading this. I want to start off by saying that the story of the stripling warriors is possibly one of my favorite stories in the Book of Mormon EVER! It starts in Alma 56. I'm going to be sharing about chapters 56 and 57, just in case you want to use your scriptures as references as you read this. Alrighty, so, something I always keep in mind when reading this story, is how the youth of the church are often referred to as stripling warriors. This was the basis of the things I learned. Alma 56:9-10 sort of introduce the role of the stripling warriors and tell us our role a youth - or even just members of the church. They were sent to assist Antipus, their leader. Our job is to assist our leaders. Help our bishops, young women leaders, young men leaders, apostles, prophet, etc. Help with what? With sharing the Gospel, strengthening it's members, sharing out love, being Christlike. And not just with those who aren't members of the church. In vs. 10, it says "behold his army had been reduced by the Lamanites because their forces had slain a vast number of our men, for which cause we have to mourn." There are people that "fight" with that will fall to satan and his temptations. We must do our best to help and strengthen all we can, both members and nonmembers, because Satan can get anyone if not properly prepared against. Ok, a little time out. Vs. 17 is an amazing verse. but i'm going to skip it for now. It's going to be the last thing i talk about, because I kind of want it to be the thing that leaves the biggest impression, and hopefully it being the last thing read will help that. So, anyways, vs. 24. The lamanites didn't attack. Why? because they knew they didn't have a chance. This is significant. Why? because Satan tempts us when he knows he has some chance of succeeding. He's one clever guy. He knows what he's doing. when he attacks us, he's going to go all out. Always. He wants us to fall too badly to fight half-heartedly. We need to be constantly prepared, like in vs 28, with provisions. What kind? well, both physical and spiritual. Things like food storage and gardens. and also daily scripture study and prayers, and having a temple recommend. in vs. 37, where is says "but pursued their march in a straight course after us" I have written in my margin that when help comes to us (because Antipus was coming to help the stripling warriors) Satan does all he can to bring us down before that help can reach us. This means that we must always be on out toes so he can't bring us down, and so we can help those around us before he brings them down. Vs 40: the stripling warriors and Helamen ran straight and did not turn to the right or left. We are told to be on the straight and narrow. In life's course, we are meant to stay on that path. Even if we are fleeing from satan's temptation. We must always be aware of what we're doing and the consequences of our actions. in vs. 41, the Lamanits are spotted because the light of morning comes. I really like this verse, because we know that when we're living in a way that we can always have the spirit with us and follow the example of Christ, the light of the world, Satan's plans will be illuminated. We will always be able to see him coming, just as you would see an army advancing when it's morning. Vs.44-48 are my favorite part of the story of the stripling warriors. Helamen asks if they are willing to go to battle to help Antipus' army. The prophet as asked us so many times if we are willing to go to battle against satan and to help the people around us. The striplings did not shirk and did their duty. Their faith is SO amazing. What I admire most is the faith in God and in what their mothers told them. they did not fear, because their faith was so great. Faith and fear cannot exist together. Now, it's ok to have fear. But be sure that you can replace that fear with faith. Like, say there was a youth group that went repelling. There was a girl who's terrified of heights. She still managed to go off the extremely tall cliff, because she was able to give that fear to the Lord and trusted her leaders. She conquered her fear (though she is still scared of heights) and came back with a renewed faith in God. true story :) don't ever let fear overcome your duty, because faith is so much stronger than any fear you could ever have. then in vs 51, it talks about how because the leaders had fallen, there was confusion. We need to be aware that there is always the chance that we can fall to Satan, no matter how much responsibility we have or how much good we have done. We must always be aware and prepared, because what we do will always effect the people around us. If a leader in the church falls, who knows how many people can follow that leader because of the confusion it can cause. Ok, going on the chapter 57, the first half is basically about them being prepared and strong. Like always, we need to be faith. and we need to be strong. Strong how? Strong in the Lord. Through the Lord, we can have the greatest strength possible. We can achieve anything. then, in vs 21, it says "and they did obey and observe to perform every word of command with exactness." This is like the ultimate example to me. We need to be sure that we are obeying every commandment we are given with exactness. It's extremely hard, but how amazing would it be if every youth in the church did just that? then, in vs. 25, which is similar to vs. 56 in chapter 56, it says that not one of the 2,060 stripling warriors were lost. 200 had fainted, but none had fallen. We need to be living in a way that we will be able to be like those stripling warriors, so we will not fall. We may have setbacks like the 200, but I hope we can be like that 2,060 and not fall. How can we be like that? well, exactly like the stripling warriors did. Exceeding faith. Trusting in God continually. Not doubting. Being firm and steadfast. in vs. 34, it says "we did arrive in time that we might assist our brethren in preserving the city." It is so very important that we are doing what we're supposed to, so we can be on the right path to arrive in time to help someone in need. I can't tell you how many times I have needed something said to me or done for me, and because the people around me were living righteously, they did exactly what was needed for me. We can be vital in helping "preserve" each other. In a seminary conference, someone said something like this: When we are on the right path in life, we will meet others on that same path that will be a help and strength. When we aren't on the right path, we will never meet them. I'm very sad to think that if I was living in a different way, that the people that are in my life now might not be there. Or that I could be living in a way that is making me miss out in meeting amazing people. and this kind of leads into the last thing that I want to share. Going back to chapter 56:17. the last couple lines are my favorite. They say "those sons of mine gave them great hopes and much joy." I've been kind of thinking about this, and who the sons - or stripling warriors, since girls can be today's stripling warriors - are today, I started thinking of all the amazing youth I know. Especially those younger than me. Because they are the ones who are the stripling warriors. I mean, of course, my leaders are amazing. There's no doubt about that. And then there's people like Bro. Tilley and my sister Amy who are young, and who are amazing also. But there's just something about the younger people. With each group of people, I see such greatness. I look at the people just older than me, and I'm like "man, those seniors are awesome!" Then I look at the juniors that are my age and am amazed again. And then at the sophomores younger than me and am amazed even more. And then the next group and the next group down. These truly are the stripling warriors of the last dispensation. I have such great hope and joy looking at them. I'm even amazed at the primary kids! There are so many people younger than me that I look up to. I'm among stripling warriors. I know so many of them. Because of them, I know that this world has hope. I can see a good future, and that the church will be spread throughout the world because of them. I can't help to be anything but joyful and hopeful when I know such greatness and am around them everyday.

No comments: