Together Forever

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Service: There can be no true happiness without it. True Statement.

In a world of constant turmoil and strife, giving is truly the only way for civilization to remain. Sounds a little dramatic, no? Well, think about it. It's very true. There are always people who are poor, hungry, naked, homeless. and then there's always people who barely have enough, people who can get by and have a little extra, and people who have plenty of what is necessary. Because of this, there always is a need for those who are better off to help those less fortunate. All of us, whether poor or rich, can give. It can be time, love, money, supplies, anything! for mutual today, the Young Men and Young Women went to the Humanitarian Aid Center. It truly was amazing. It also makes me feel kind of guilty. I don't know how many times I have said that service is so very important. That it's the only way to have true happiness. Yet, I feel like i don't always do that. I'm very selfish with my time. I seem to hoard what little money I have. The only thing I really seem to do on a regular basis is donate clothes to DI. It's something, but I can do so much better. What I learned today at the Humanitarian Center is that service really is so easy. And it is vital. Many of us do not realize just how bad people in other places have it. We are very lucky to live where we do. And even now, with Haiti and Chile, where buildings and roads are destroyed - highways and cities! (If you can tell me where in the Book of Mormon it mentions highways and cities being destroyed, I'll give you a cookie. :) It shouldn't be that hard if you're in seminary.) The service we can give to these countries in need is so simple! They are even things people do regularly. Like the people who make those flower headbands. You can totally donate some to the Humanitarian Aid Center for little girls. Or you could go down to the Center and put together school kits. There are places where kids can't go to school because their parents are too poor to buy the school supplies that are required. It's so easy. We put together a bunch in like 30 minutes tonight. tying quilt! super easy, and fun if you do it with your friends. If you have money, you can buy supplies for different kits. And there's so much more! you have a talent for sewing? make shirts or dresses. You like to color? make folder game boards to send to orphanages. It's all so easy! And it feels so good. Just the little things that i was able to do tonight has made me so happy. I just feel so good! And you never know what effect each little thing you do can have. If i helped put together just one school kit, that's one kid who can go to school. One kid that can help change his life and the life of his family. Service truly is amazing. Just do good things. give a smile to someone. You just might make their day. It makes mine when I see people smile at me. It's just all so simple. Simple, simple, simple. You don't have to make it this big huge thing, especially if you don't have the resources. But every little thing you do matters. It truly makes a difference in this world. I think I now understand why Pres. Monson has stressed service so much. It is a wonderfuly amazing thing.

2 comments:

Rach said...

You are on a roll my dear. Beth you make my heart happy. Good work hun! :)

P.S. I like the new background!

Unknown said...

Beth, check out this article: http://www.sltrib.com/news/ci_13965607

I'm excited about the emphasis the church is putting on caring for the poor and the needy. I think it is super important. I love that the church gives us so many opportunities to serve and give, and all we have to do is take advantage of them.