Together Forever

Sunday, August 8, 2010

Firm in the Faith

I'm Nichole and this is my first post on this blog! I'm so happy that Beth passed this on to me, and I'm even more excited to share some of my experiences with you. I just hope my posts can be as good as Beth's! I'm going to use this blog for my faith value project and share anything that I can about faith and anything else I think you might like. Once I am finished, I will pass this blog off to another girl. We are going to have a good time!

First off, you probably want to get to know a little about me. If you didn't know, I am a convert to the church. I have always known about Jesus Christ and believed in pretty much the same things that are taught in the LDS church, since my parents taught me and took me to a christian church when I was younger. I have always had the same standards throughout my whole life. I've known right from wrong and been a good kid growing up. My friend Miya and I have gone to school together since the days of Wilson Elementary. When we were in 3rd grade she thought I was LDS and was talking to me about something from primary. She recently told me that she was pretty surprised when I asked back then, "What's primary?" Haha can you imagine?

Fast forward to 7th grade. That's when I met my bff Aimee Allen. Fast forward again to 9th grade. She had seminary 2nd hour and I would walk with her halfway and then go back to my 2nd hour. I started asking her some pretty simple questions. I just thought everyone who was going to and from seminary was so happy! So then I invited myself to church with Aimee to see what the deal was. Right away I knew that this was where I needed to be!

My parents were pretty against the idea of me going to church, mostly because of things they had read or heard that weren't true. So I would only get to go to church if they were out of town and such. Sneaking to church...not exactly what most teenagers would do! My parents would do anything they could to try to keep me away from the church or any church activities. My mom told me not to read the Book of Mormon. My mom would find out that I was reading it and take it away, but I always got another one and kept reading. It took a lot of faith to believe that my parents would let me join the church someday. I know that fasting and prayer helped so much.
Finally this year my parents let me get baptized and it's been the best thing to happen so far! My family sees that I'm still the same person, only happier and becoming more Christlike. I know that they'll be happy for my decision someday if they aren't already.

I'm so grateful for the example and influence of friends and leaders that have helped to shape me. I love my ward family! It's amazing that something so simple as being a good friend can do so much! Have a little faith!

4 comments:

Aimee said...

I'm glad you're doing this! You are going to have some great things to share. Love you!

Rach said...

Looks like Beth put the blog into good hands. I hope you don't mind me checking in to read a little from time to time. Your first post was a real treat Nichole!

Miya said...

Nichole! I love you! This first post is so great, you are an amazing girl!

Dani said...

Thank you! I'm glad you all enjoyed it!