Together Forever

Sunday, August 15, 2010

Don't Be a Fool

School started this Wednesday, and it has been good to see friends and get back into the routine of school. When someone asks you to make a quick list of the things you are grateful for, school probably isn't near the top of the list, right? Well why not? We can learn so much at school, and especially in seminary, if only we have the right attitude.

Today in Sunday School, we looked up Proverbs 1:7

"The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction."

In other words, it would be foolish to not to take advantage of the opportunities that we have to learn. This year is my senior year at Mesa High, and the first year that my parents have allowed me to take seminary. Throughout my previous years of high school, I would hear about kids, even some of my friends, who would ditch seminary for fun, or just didn't want to go. This would always break my heart, because if I could, I would be the first person to take their place. I think sometimes we just get so used to having certain things in our lives that we don't take the time to realize just how lucky we are. This year I'm so grateful to have the opportunity to take seminary at school. Already, seminary has been a time that I can get away from school and feel the Spirit. We should all be grateful for the opportunities that we have to go to school and seminary each weekday to fill out minds with knowledge. I have friends who are investigating the church that would love to go to seminary but can't, so we should never take it for granted. I know this will be a great school year!

6 comments:

Miya said...

Nichole you are so sweet! And such a good example to me, I love you so much! Its really is sad when people ditch seminary just to be rebellious.

Daniel Merkley said...

Wow. What a testimony! Glad Miya refered me to your blog so I could read this. Seminary is the greatest. In fact, I am visiting seminary tomorrow! It's the first opportunity I've had.

Dani said...

Thanks Miya love you too! And it was good to see you there today Daniel!

Daniel Merkley said...

It was so good to be back! I was there from 1st to 4th so I could listen to all the seminary teachers at least once. It was incredible but... it wasn't the best part of my day. Seriously, when I saw you walk in to Brother Dixon's class I almost cried. Last night it didn't even register to me that I might've had a chance to be present for even one day of your experience. The whole time the only thing I was thinking about was how much I wished you had gotten to take seminary years prior and how amazing this year was going to be for you. And then it hit me that I don't even know you! We've kinda stumbled upon each other a few times. Random chats on FB and at the Mormon Prom last year. I've decided that we need to do something sometime. Miya can come too. And this isn't an empty wish. Seriously some time when there's something going to happen we should do it!

Dani said...

That is precious! Haha! And yes, absolutely, this should definitely happen!

Daniel Merkley said...

Ok so when can we do this something? I have no idea what we're going to do, but you tell me when and I'll find something to do!