Together Forever

Sunday, September 26, 2010

Priceless Souls

In seminary this past week, my teacher gave a lesson on the worth of souls. I really enjoyed it, so I wanted to elaborate on it a bit. Doctrine and Covenants 18:10 says, "Remember the worth of souls is great in the sight of God". To me, this scripture further proves Heavenly Fathers love for each of us. We are priceless to him and of infinite worth.

We need to recognize how special we are. Our lives can be hectic and just plain busy. We often have so many responsibilities that sometimes we feel like we're failing at some of them. That is where self doubt comes in. You can tell yourself that you're not good enough, or compare yourself to someone who seems to be more successful. Don't compare yourself to someone; each one of us has been created differently with our own strengths and weaknesses. You don't have to be the best. You just have to try to be your best.

Sometimes, we not only degrade our own feelings of self worth, but also those of others. Have you ever seen someone and thought something, or said something, or judged them based on only their outward appearance or their actions? Imagine how Heavenly Father feels when we do this. Those people that we judge are all sons or daughters of God.

In John 13:34 it reads, "A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also one another."
My seminary teacher gave us the challenge for the rest of the day to try to see others as God sees them. I think that challenge goes right along with that scripture. I took on the challenge, and for the rest of the day, I smiled at more people, and tried to see the worth of their soul. This helped me to gain a greater love for all of the people who are here on this earth. All of us chose to be here. We are each a son or daughter of God and we all have a purpose. I know that as we try to uplift others, they will be able to see their own worth.

Remember, it's okay to not be perfect, just don't put yourself down. You are of great worth in the sight of God. The atonement works and will help us gain perfection. Have faith in it!

2 comments:

Daniel Merkley said...

The worth of souls is great... especially yours!! It's one thing to go to seminary, it's another to take it with you and actually apply it into daily life. You are wonderful!!

P.S.(I tried arranging a time to go to the Temple with Miya, but she ended up having to participate in the talent show! And now the Temple is closed for two weeks =[. Maybe we could still do something in the next two weeks if you're not busy, otherwise we'll have to wait to go to baptisms.)

Miya said...

Nichole, I loved this post! You are such a good example, and remember when you made me 'water' (my eyes) well, those girls are really lucky to have you as one of their leaders. You are an amazing young woman, and I am thankful to have you as a friend, you've inspired me to try my best and become a better person countless times.
I love you so much! :)

Darn that talent show! Sorry that did not work out, hopefully it will soon because I really wan to go with you guys! :)